TIVOLI: VILLA ADRIANA & VILLA D'ESTEViale Luigi Einaudi in front of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri Church
- Tour guide
- Training shoes
TIVOLI: VILLA ADRIANA & VILLA D'ESTE
Visit Tivoli with its splendid villas and gardens, a real masterpiece of the UNESCO heritage list, just few kilometers away from Rome.
Compare two very splendid villas from two different ages: the Villa Adriana, dating back to Roman times and the Villa D’Este from the Renaissance period.
Leaving Rome in the morning, take a comfortable transport to Tivoli in a splendid natural environment between the Eternal City and the high hills to the east of Rome.
The most remarkable architectural complex is Villa Adriana, dating from the Ancient Roman time. Back in the 2nd century AD, the emperor Hadrian built his majestic villa: a luxury country residence where he used to retreat and where he lived his late years. The huge complex includes more than 30 buildings, several swimming pools, former thermal stations and covers an area that’s larger than a square kilometer, which gives quite an idea of this place’s aim: to show the greatness, opulence and vast power of the emperor.
After this amazing visit, come to discover the Renaissance-style Villa d’Este, a gorgeous palatial setting surrounded by a spectacular terraced garden. In the 16th century, much of the remaining marble and statues were removed from Hadrian’s Villa by Cardinal Ippolito II d’Este, to decorate his own villa located nearby: Villa d’Este. The Villa was enlarged and enriched by all his descendants with the contribution of incredible artists of the times, like Gianlorenzo Bernini. Largely frescoes on the inside, the Villa is surrounded by a unique garden, displaying a complex system of pools, water jets, channels, fountains, cascades, and water games. And what makes this system of fountains such an incredible masterpiece of engineering is that it works entirely by the force of gravity, without pumps.
Return to Rome in the afternoon.
You will have half a day to enjoy these architectural beauties accompanied by a professional guide: you won’t miss a single detail!
You don’t even need to wrap your head around how to reach Tivoli: we will take care of both transportation and entrance tickets.
All you have to do it's relax and enjoy the trip!
Meeting point: viale Luigi Einaudi in front of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri Church, near metro A line stop Piazza della Repubblica and Termini Station (Metro A and B)
- Explore Tivoli
- Explore the ruins of Hadrian's Villa
- Wander among the grottoes and fountains of the Villa d'Este
- Discover the summer retreat of the Romans and nobles of the Renaissance
- Roundtrip Transportation by coach
- Villa d’Este and Villa Adriana admission tickets
- Professional Guide
- Food and Drinks
- Pick up Service from the Hotel
Operating days: Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
Languages: The guide's explanations are bilingual: English & Spanish and German & French. You will hear only your language through the headset.
COVID-19: IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- FFP2 Masks are required, please bring your own
- All participants who are over 12 years old must present a Reinforced Green Pass that is valid in the EU and has a verifiable QR code. Reinforced Green Passes can only be obtained by proof of full vaccination or proof of a Covid-19 infection within the last 6 months.
- All participants must also bring a valid government-issued photo ID.
- Temperature checks are mandatory
- All customer touchpoints are frequently cleaned
- To reduce crowds, the number of visitors is limited