Picnic in the Papal GardensPiazza della Libertà (Castel Gandolfo)
- Training shoes
- Skip the line
Picnic in the Papal Gardens
This divine property has provided peace and quiet to more than 30 popes since it was built in the early 17th century. Get the papal treatment as you skip the line and enter the Papal Gardens. Overlooking the sapphire blue and emerald green waters of Lake Albano, this stunning complex is a great escape from the hustle and bustle of Rome.
This prime land ended up in papal hands back in 1596, when the once-mighty Savelli family lost the plot (to bankruptcy). Decades later, Pope Urban VIII ordered the construction of a country home here; the views across the lake and of the surrounding hills are spectacular.
Just recently Pope Francis, aka Cool Pope, opened a huge portion of these premises to the public. So you can spend some time admiring the lush tree-lined gardens and, of course, viewing the remains of Emperor Domitian’s residence.
The next pope might not be as open-minded, so in a few years the gardens could close to the public once again. This could be your best chance to see something that for 400 years only the Holy could See
Meeting point: report at Castel Gandolfo pontificial villa (Piazza della Libertà 00073) with your mobile voucher
- Visit the fairy-tale villa where popes have come to escape the hustle and bustle of the Vatican since the 17th century
- Tour around beautiful gardens, built into the ruins of Emperor Domitian’s own 2,000 year-old country residence
- Enjoy lunch in the garden's picnic area, you'll have a porchetta or vegetarian sandwich to enjoy, bottled water, a wine or beer, and typical wine biscuits
- Entrance to the Papal Gardens
- Picnic (sandwich with porchetta or vegetarian, beer or wine, 0.5l bottle of water + typical wine biscuits)
- Transportation to Castel Gandolfo
- Entrance to Apostolic Palace
- Masks are required, please bring your own
- Temperature checks are mandatory
- All customer touchpoints are frequently cleaned
- To reduce crowds, the number of visitors is limited