ROME UNDERGROUND: THE CATACOMBSPiazza D'Ara Coeli, 16
- Free wifi
- Tour guide
- Training shoes
- Reserved Entrance
ROME UNDERGROUND: THE CATACOMBS
The tour begins from one of the most spectacular central located square in Rome: Venice Square, next to the Town hall. Panoramic open bus bring you from the city center to the Rome underground venue of the catacombs. Enjoy the multimedia video of ancient Rome, before leaving for your visit to the Catacombs
Located just outside the city and hidden deep underground, the catacombs were created in the second century in response to a shortage of land for deceased’s remains. Dating back almost 2,000 years to the 2nd century AD, this extensive network of tunnels snaking underground was once both a burial ground and a place of worship for the first Christians in Rome.
With an expert guide you’ll explore these extensive tunnels lined with tombs carved right out of the rock, and hear the fascinating history of these sacred places. Due to very limited access to the catacombs, make your booking in advance especially around Easter and between May and September, when Rome swarms with travelers. The cool catacombs make for a great break from Italy’s summer heat.
The idea is to offer a service that is interested in transferring tourists from the neuralgic points of the city of Rome to the catacombs using a methane Shuttle Bus with an onboard audio guide, with the purpose of reconciling the traditional nature of our tours with more ambitious ideas of sustainable tourism and environmental protection. Our package will allow you to reach and visit the catacombs, which are one of the largest one in Rome and where you can visit 17 km of tunnels and corridors divided into 4 different levels, for a total of 150,000 burials, and a semi subterranean Basilica.
By visiting this site you will have the opportunity to get to know more information about some aspects of the life of the Christian communities of the early centuries, their faith in the resurrection and eternal life, admiring its testimony, that remained untouched over the centuries in symbolic decorations of stone fragments and magnificent frescoes, a sign of the relationship with God and of the cult of the martyrs buried in this cemetery.
Get ready to have your assumptions about Rome turned upside down on this incredibly unique journey of discovery!
Meeting Point: TOURISTATION PIAZZA VENEZIA Piazza D'Ara Coeli, 16
(Next to Piazza Venezia. Facing the Vittorio Emanuele Building, keep walking on the right hand side, cross the bus stop and the gardens. There is a small fountain in front of the office).
• Benefit transfer by open bus with the panoramic route
• Guided tour at the Catacombs
• Morning and afternoon departure timing from a very central located TOURISTATION point
• Assistance and facilities at the meeting point
• Multimedia Video: before you visit the Archeological area you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in ancient Roman times with this intense 25 minute multimedia video showing the before and after effect of all the best sites of Rome including the Colosseum and Underground, Pantheon, Circus Maximum and the Vatican area.
• Panoramic bus round trip from the city center to the Rome underground venue of the catacombs
• Entrance ticket to the main Catacombs in Rome
• Guided tour within the Catacombs available in 5 languages (Italian, English, French, Spanish and German)
• 25 minute Multimedia Video: before you visit the Archeological area you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in ancient Roman times.
What's not included:
• Food and Drinks
• Pick up service from the hotel
Timetable: every day, 9:30 10:30 - 14:00
Duration: approximately 2 hours
Please kindly note:
• We recommend wearing comfortable shoes.
• The tour is not accessible to visitors in wheelchairs or with severe motor disabilities.
• Visitors with disabilities of 100% are entitled to gratuity ticket speaking directly to the ticket office of the catacombs.
COVID-19: IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- FFP2 Masks are required, please bring your own
Free cancellation up to 72h before your visit date