The Jewish Life Experience: Jewish ghetto and SynagoguePiazza D'Ara Coeli, 16
- Free wifi
- Tour guide
The Jewish Life Experience: Jewish ghetto and Synagogue
an amazing tour lasting 2000 years.
Getting to know this historic area of the city is an unforgettable experience. You will enjoy an authentic immersion into the history, culture and traditions of one of the oldest communities in Europe. Our guides will accompany you inside the Jewish Museum and the Main Synagogue and will share with you the Roman Jewish history and traditions.
A unique guided tour to the Jewish quarter of Rome. In 1555 a ghetto was established on the banks of the Tiber River. The ghetto was essentially a prison-neighborhood within Rome, surrounded by fences and gates. As it was considered unacceptable for Jews to live together with Christians, Pope Paul IV Carafa promulgated a series of restrictions on the Jewish community such as would marginalize it for centuries. It was not until 1848 that Pope Pius IX ordered the dismantling of the doors and walls of the Jewish ghetto, even though the laws restricting Jews remained in force until 1870. In 1888, the whole area was demolished. However, as the former ghetto quarter represents the uninterrupted relationship between Jews and the city of Rome, the Jewish community chose it to be the home of its Great Synagogue which was inaugurated in 1904. The Synagogue is a symbol of the emancipation achieved by Roman Jews after the abolition of the ghetto. Getting to know this historic area of the city is an unforgettable experience. Our guides are native Romans and they are all allowed to accompany. They were born and bred in the heart of the Jewish-Roman community and they are excited to share with you family anecdotes and secular traditions.
Meeting point: TOURISTATION PIAZZA VENEZIA – Piazza d’Ara Coeli, 16
(Next to Piazza Venezia. Facing the Vittorio Emanuele Building, keep walking on the right hand side, cross the bus stop and the gardens. There is a small fountain in front of the office).
- Enjoy a unique guided tour to the Jewish quarter of Rome
- Discover the history of a Jewish Community
- Visit the Jewish Museum with a 7-room itinerary
- Admire the architecture of the Great Synagogue
- Professional guide
- English guided tour
- The former ghetto walking tour
- The Jewish Museum: a 7 rooms itinerary where discover the history of a Jewish Community unique for living in the same place for twenty two centuries
- The Great Synagogue
- 25 minute Ancient Rome Multimedia Video
- Pick up Service
- Food and drinks
Duration: 3 hours.
COVID-19: IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- Masks are required, please bring your own
- Temperature checks are mandatory
- All customer touchpoints are frequently cleaned
- To reduce crowds, the number of visitors is limited