Tickets for Castel Sant'AngeloLungotevere Castello 50
Tickets for Castel Sant'Angelo
Known as Hadrian's Tomb, the Castel Sant'Angelo is a fortress located on the right bank of the Tiber, a short distance from the Vatican City. Overlook the Tiber from this iconic mausoleum-turned-museum. Admire the beautiful angel sculptures along the Ponte Sant'Angelo bridge, also known as the Bridge of Angels.
Discover the historical castle and learn the history of its ancient fortress with your audio guide. Admire the painting and ancient fortified walls and statues before taking in breathtaking views of the city from the terrace.
In the year 590, while a great epidemic of plague devastated the city, the Pope Gregory I had a vision of Saint Michael the Archangel on top of the castle, announcing the end of the epidemic. In memory of the apparition the building is crowned with a statue of an angel.
In the year 1277 an 800 metre fortified corridor was built that connected the castle with the Vatican City so that the Pope could escape in the event that he were in danger. During the sieges that occurred in Rome during 1527, the Pope Clement VII used the fortress as a refuge.
The Castel Sant'Angelo is split into seven floors which can be reached by a spiral ramp that first reaches the chamber of ashes and subsequently the cells in which a number of historical figures were incarcerated.
Advancing toward the upper part of the castle you will find different rooms that functioned as a Papal residence, decorated with perfectly preserved frescoes from the Renaissance period, besides the extensive collection of weapons.
Finish off the incredible experience with a panoramic view from the castle's terrace and take stunning photos of the city.
Meeting point: Lungotevere Castello 50.
- Save time with skip-the-line access to the Castel Sant'Angelo
- Learn the history of the castle from your audio guide
- Overlook the Tiber from this iconic mausoleum-turned-museum
- Enjoy the breathtaking city view from the top of the castle's terrace
- Skip the line access to Castel Sant'Angelo
- Entrance fee
- Castel Sant'Angelo audio guide app
- City app: download your own city map and audio guide (available in 6 languages). The audio guide will draw your attention to the most important aspects and explain the remarkable history of this eternal city
- 25 minute multimedia video, available at the Touristation office in Piazza d'Aracoeli 16
- Food and drinks
- Pick up service
From Monday to Wednesday: from 9:00 to 7:30 PM, the last entrance is at 6:30 PM.
From Thursday to Sunday: from 9:00 to 12:00 PM, the last entrance is at 11:00 PM.
Free for children up to 17 years.
COVID-19: IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- Masks are required, please bring your own
- Temperature checks are mandatory
- All customer touchpoints are frequently cleaned
- To reduce crowds, the number of visitors is limited