ROME UNDERGROUND: CATACOMBSPiazza D'Ara Coeli, 16
- Free wifi
- Tour guide
- Training shoes
- Skip the line
ROME UNDERGROUND: CATACOMBS
This underground tour of the Catacombs takes you deeper into the unusual history of Rome, far below its busy streets and towering monuments to the concealed side of this ancient city. The itinerary includes some of the most uncommon, mysterious and outlandish sites the Eternal City has to offer.
The tour begins from one of the most spectacular central located square in Rome: Venice Square next to the Town hall. A VIP minibus full equipped with air conditioning will take you to the ancient Roman catacombs. The staff will provide an App City audio guide that will introduce the venue and the old road of Via Appia.
Located just outside the city and hidden deep underground, the catacombs were created in the second century in response to a shortage of land for deceased’s remains.
Dating back almost 2,000 years to the 2nd century AD, this extensive network of tunnels snaking underground was once both a burial ground and a place of worship for the first Christians in Rome. With an expert guide you’ll explore these extensive tunnels lined with tombs carved right out of the rock, and hear the fascinating history of these sacred places.
Due to very limited access to the catacombs, make your booking in advance especially around Easter and between May and September, when Rome swarms with travelers. The cool catacombs make for a great break from Italy’s summer heat.
Get ready to have your assumptions about Rome turned upside down on this incredibly unique journey of discovery!
• Vip return transfer fully equipped minivan
• City APP Audio guide (more than 100 commentary) ad hoc commentary itinerary to the catacombs
• Guided tour at the Catacombs (very small group)
• Morning and afternoon departure timing from a very central located TOURISTATION point
• Assistance and facilities at the meeting point
Meeting Point: TOURISTATION COLOSSEO & FORO ROMANO Piazza Ara Coeli, 16
Departures from Touristation: 10:30 - 14:30
Duration: approximately 2 hours
Operating days: every day.
Not operating days - 25th December)/ 1st January) /Easter Sunday
Guided tour: 50 min (Italian, English, French, Spanish and German).
• Shuttle bus round trip from the city center to the Rome underground venue of the catacombs
• City APP audio guide in 8 languages (Italian, English, French, Spanish, German, Chinese, Japanese, Russian)
• Entrance ticket to the main Catacombs in Rome
• Guided tour within the Catacombs available in 5 languages (Italian, English, French, Spanish and German) - about 50 minutes
• Drinks/ Meal/ Pick up service from the hotel